Work Permits

While a student is a minor and subject to California's compulsory education laws, the student must obtain a Work Permit from the student's school before beginning employment.

During the school year, students must obtain Work Permits from the school in which they are enrolled. The school will monitor the student's attendance and grades.

When school is out for the summer, Work Permits can be obtained from the school district office (directions below) . After the student completes the "Request for Work Permit" (click QuickLink on right) and has it signed by a parent and the prospective employer, the student can bring to the district office the completed form, along with proof of birth (not a school ID). The Work Permit can usually be prepared while you wait.  
The hours to obtain a work permit at the school district office are:
M-F    9-11 am and  1-3 pm

DIRECTIONS TO THE DISTRICT OFFICE: The district office is located at the back of the campus of Soquel High School, 405 Old San Jose Road in Soquel. Exit Highway 1 at the Bay/Porter exit and travel north, crossing Soquel Drive. Turn left at the signal at the entrance to Soquel High School. Turn left at the top of the driveway and drive around to the 300 building, Room 309. Please call 831.429.3410 ext. 248 with questions about summer Work Permits.


The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.

– B.B. King


Copyright 2017 Santa Cruz City Schools